Tuesday, November 29, 2016

How to save money on Ski & Snowboard trips

We packed into the mini van and drove 16 hours to Jackson Hole. I slept through most of Nebraska, all in all, a pretty great drive. Interstate 80 treated us well, sunny and no rain, until about an hour outside of the ski resort itself. Then the snow gods dropped a foot of fresh powder on us... but we had 60 miles to go. 

The mini van pushed through fine; we soon planted ourselves on the Tram - me, my dad, my brother and my cousin/bff Elijah.  On the bottom of the mountain it was sunny and warm, but 15 minutes on the tram, packed like sardines brought us to nonexistent visibility and colder temps at the top of the mountain. The wind screeched through our coats, and hats, and gloves, as we see-sawed on top of the mountain. Then, it hit me. I needed to pee. 





I strapped into my board and dropped into the bowl. I flew on the powder, weightless, with the agility of a border collie. As the snow misted around me and landed on my sweat drenched pores, my lower abdomen cramped with sharp pain. The need to find a restroom was growing and I wasn't sure how long it would take to find a designated zone on the mountain. As I rode through a connector trail from the bowls to the rest of the mountain and came through the clearing, I saw the spot. Huge 100ft evergreens with thick, green branches that drooped low with snow. In my eyes, I witnessed the perfect cover. I quickly rode into the trees, and did my business. About a minute later, I heard my name being called. I jumped out of the trees, strapped in, and joined my group. 




Here are my tricks and tips for saving money on ski trips.



Food: 


⟴ Ski.Eat.Sleep.Repeat. I have a few tips on saving money, while keeping your stomach full. 

   ⇶⇶ Rent a condo or cabin with a kitchen so you can cook some of your meals. Spaghetti, pancakes, eggs, hamburger helper, and tacos are inexpensive meals to cook as well as filling. I usually like to budget for one or two meals out in the town to get a feel for the area. Do a little meal planning in advance, or on the way, and it will save you hundreds.
   ⇶⇶ Shop at a Costco or Sam's Club for your food and alcohol supplies. This is great when traveling in a group - stock up and share the savings and the products. While you're perusing the aisles indulge in the free samples for either a large snack or a small meal. 

Lift Tickets: 

⟴ I.Must.Get.Up.That.Mountain....

   ⇶⇶ 1/2 days or Full Days? If you're spending 5 or more days riding at the same resort, buy half day passes on non-powder days and save on your lift tickets. Chances are, you might need a break and its a great opportunity to explore the local haunts.
   ⇶⇶ Shop Local. Check with local stores on lift ticket discounts that you can purchase through the store. Internet research also comes in handy for specials and deals.
   ⇶⇶ Military Discount, if you have it, use it. On the same lines - if you are a member of a ski-club or have season tickets at your local resort ask about reciprocity deals, or discounted lift tickets.
   ⇶⇶ Season Pass or Pass? Sometimes if you take enough ski trips in a year, a season pass is worth the money upfront. They also can come with special deals for different ski resorts and your guests
   ⇶⇶ Groupon, we all love groupon



Money Suckers: 


Enjoy all things - just practice moderation. Here is a list of things that I have learned from experience can suck the dollars right out of your wallet:
   ⇶⇶ Eating at the resort. Though it tastes good, smells good, looks, good and usually feels good on the way down. Try to pack some snacks and an energy drink or water for a couple of your days there to help minimize the amount of cash you spend.  
   ⇶⇶ Save the new outfit for a hot date. Occasionally, I've bought brand new snow gear for my mountain trips. Almost every single time, it gets worn out twice as fast as usual, I lose it in the snow, or it gets a stain. So I try to always bring my normal stuff with the intention of wringing out the rest of it's life. Because it's always less expensive to buy snowboards or skis and all the gear that comes with in the summer time. Though the temptation is high, resist because your wallet will appreciate it. 

***I am attempting to practice what I preach because I desperately want to buy a Rossignol Diva Magtech. My resistance is weak, and my self control is wavering, but I'm trying...




I loved Jackson Hole, and this is how I definitely plan on visiting again and again because... 

Adventure Awaits. 





No comments:

Post a Comment