Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Megan's Compass Project

Winter Wonderland 

Written by Megan Van Pelt 

Disclaimer

I love Iowa. I am a born and bred Iowan, and love everything about the place, from its food to its people. The fact that it has approximately six pigs for every person makes me weirdly proud and happy. I miss it like crazy since moving out to the East Coast.

That being said, Wisconsin is heaven on earth, especially in the wintertime. Don’t get me wrong, the temperatures are awful- I layer like mad whenever I’m there- hoodies, sweaters, and Cuddle Duds are my constant companions-  and still seem to be forever chilled. The snow there falls and stays, ice included, and on the curvy, hilly roads it scares the shit out of me to drive, especially being used to the flat, Iowa highways I was raised on.

These are all attributes that were described to me by a born and raised Wisconsinite, and due to these kind of descriptions, I was more than apprehensive to visit and stay in a hunting shack in the woods in the middle of the winter. But as you do for the people you love, I followed him to Wisconsin and stayed in the cabin in the woods heated by a woodstove at zero degrees, and it stands alone to be one of the best things I’ve ever done. There are many reasons I love that little cabin in the middle of nowhere, but the biggest can be summed up in one word:

Snowmobiling


When Jackson and I first started dating, he would constantly tell me how amazing snowmobiling is, and tell me about the high he gets from riding. I always figured it was a feeling exclusive to the male species, akin to hunting and throwing things off the balcony. Something he could tell me about, but I was only really ever going to be able to smile and nod in response, with the occasional “Yeah, babe. That sounds great.” I decided I would go on a ride with him up in that family owned Wisconsin hunting shack, give it a shot, and afterwards would be free to be a spectator to his love of snowmobiling.

In the first few moments I held on the back of the snowmobile for dear life. But seconds after take off, I was hooked. Zooming through the woods with no one else around (with the exception of the occasional deer), I understood right away why my he loves it so much. For as loud as the sled is, it is incredibly peaceful and wonderful all at the same time going quickly over the snow and trees, the wind biting at your face. Content was sitting on the back of his sled and observe the woods zipping past me without worrying about handling a vehicle that could potentially skid on the ice or run into the tree.

I am not overly confident in my driving abilities, particularly when ice is involved. I have always hated driving in the snow and ice, and was not keen to try driving a contraption that is specifically meant for snow and ice driving. On the other hand, I am a competitive person, and really want to be more adventurous than I am. It is a constant disappointment to myself that I am not more inclined to winter sports- I tried to ski once, and fell tush over noggin all the way down the hill and never tried again. I have never been brave enough to even attempt snowboarding like my fabulous friend Mara, and have barely gone sledding since I hit the age of ten.  I desperately want to be adventurous, and it is this desire that made me try driving the snowmobile myself.

At first, I was only going to drive around the clearing of the cabin. This I could handle, I wouldn’t get close enough to the trees to crash into one, there were no roots to worry about hitting, and the likelihood of a deer running in front of me that I wouldn’t see in time was extremely unlikely. This I could do, and I would be able to say I drove a snowmobile to boot! It was incredibly exciting to me, being able to zoom back and forth, around and around in that clearing. I wasn’t gun shy there, so I was able to get to speeds of 40 mph. After my first trip around the clearing, I hopped off the sled exhilarated!

 “Jack!! I drove at break neck speed!” I shouted.

 Jack laughed and said “You’ll get there eventually!”

Flying through that clearing, it was easy to feel like the adventurous soul I desperately long to be, and my adrenaline spiked. It is such a high to feel the throttle under your hand, and the sled hum with power as you increase the speed. I zoomed back and forth in a way that I would describe as speedy and dangerous, but Jack’s father would describe, rather accurately, as a kid scooting around on a sled for the first time.

Driving a snowmobile is a rush, and puts everything I’m stressing about on the back-burner, at least for the moment. I love the feeling so much, that when Jack and I go out on the trails, I drive myself and love it. It’s like the high I get from riding on the back, only multiplied by ten. The rush is amazing, and I keep telling him that I’m going to be able to keep up with him one day. I love snowmobiling and think everyone should give it a go.

Beginner Snowmobile Tips

1.         First of all, wear a damn helmet. Seriously. If you ride enough, you will fall or fly off eventually. Hopefully you will only slide off the side with a bruise on your knee to show for it, but it is definitely possible to fly off the front due to a stump or root hidden under the snow. Snowmobiles are amazing, but can be dangerous if you choose to be dumb about it, or don’t register that the snowmobile is powerful in its own way.

2.         LAYER UP. Even if it doesn’t feel too cold when you’re stationary, when you get up to high enough speeds, you create your own wind chill, and layers are essential to battling this. When I go, I wear my Cuddle Duds fleece leggings and shirt under a thick pair of sweatpants and sweatshirt, and a nice pair of snow pants before topping it with my thickest winter coat. I myself am partial to Columbia, but have also had luck with Ski Doo. Jackson prefers Slednex for his coat and snow pants. Under Armour also has a great line of gloves to wear, that are warm and allow you flexibility in controlling the snowmobile. Make sure you wear a balaclava to cover your neck and chin as well- those winds are killer on your neck without protection.

3.         Understand that there are certain conditions that are better to ride in than others. Obviously, you want snow, but it is preferable to ride with at least four inches- it’s easier to control this way, and it’s ridiculously satisfying to watch the fresh powder fly up from under the skis. Don’t ask me why, it’s just one of those snow loving things.

4.         Plan your route ahead of time. I’ve been fortunate enough to ride with someone who knows the trails really well, but you need to make sure that you know where you’re going and how you’re going to get back. Each state’s DNR has maps of the trails that are on their website so that you can plan your trip ahead of time. For an example, here’s the link to the trails in Wisconsin:  http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/snowmobile/  This is also an important site to go to, because it will explain the regulations and licensures that are required to snowmobile in a specific state.

Rambling aside, if you love snow, being outside and going fast, this is definitely something for you. The downside is that it isn’t a cheap undertaking, but oh so worth it. If you ever have the opportunity, take it. You won’t regret it! And as Mara always says….

Adventure Awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment