Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Face Hurting Weather – Some Ideas & Tips for Indoor Adventure

Lulu, my coonhound, limps and hops on the frost bitten concrete. Her giraffe neck stares back at me while her eyes ask, “Why does the air hurt my face and feet?” She squats, then decides to pee walk, while still hopping. I check her paws, and they are raw. We return inside, and I hear Lulu request to wear one of her sweaters.


We hit bitter, negative, face hurting temps in Iowa this past weekend. I love winter, snow, the cold, and the ice. But when it’s too cold to snowboard, I reconsider all of my life decisions and go into an existential crisis. The day I planned out zooming down the hill ends in binge-watching episodes of whatever I happen to be binge-watching (did I mention that I prefer “binge-watching”?) in my thermal snowboarding clothes eating pickles and drinking beer.

Therefore, I decided to put a list of things to-do during face freezing days, and put off the cold day depression.

Coffee and Museums. 
Drive through your local coffee joint, grab some hot coffee, and head to your local science, historical, or art museum. Here’s what I recommend in the Omaha & Des Moines Area.

SAC Museum (Omaha, NE). It’s full of history and science regarding Airplanes and Spaceships. Admission $6.00 / Child, $12.00 / Adult.  Link: http://sacmuseum.org/visit/visitor-information/

Union Pacific Railroad Museum (Council Bluffs, IA). Railroads are the reason America flourished when it did. Check out some cool trains and cool history. Take a tour today. Click the link for information: http://www.uprrmuseum.org/museum/activities/tours_programs.shtml


World Food Prize Center (Des Moines, IA). This historical building holds rich culture, exhibits,  and history. Not too mention, it reminds me of the mansion from Disney’s Beauty and the Beast. Click for more information: https://www.worldfoodprize.org/index.cfm?nodeID=87908&audienceID=1

Salisbury House (Des Moines, IA). Ghost stories, mansions, and lots of TREES will make for a great adventure. You’ll love it. Check it out. https://salisburyhouse.org/tours.php

Des Moines Art Center (Des Moines, IA). This place will always remain close to my heart since it inspired me to keep a creative mind as a pre-teen. Link is here: http://www.desmoinesartcenter.org/visit/hours-directions

Movie Theaters.
One of my goals on a bitter cold day this winter season is to do a double feature at my local movie theatre. It’s been a goal of mine for a few years, but this is the year I follow through.
Indie Theaters

Film Streams (Council Bluffs, IA) Marcus Theatres (Omaha, NE) & Fleur Cinema (Des Moines, IA) 
These theaters provide a unique movie seeing experience with different foods like tacos or pastries or booze. Their showings include big box office movies as well as indie films, foreign films, and shorts.

Theater Tips
-Bring in a fuzzy blanket to snuggle with while watching movie. Either shove it in a purse, or walk it in. No worries, either way.

-Getting the large special to share will save on refills through out the movie.

-Check the website of your theater of choice, because they may have double feature
specials to save you some money.

-Bring Red Solo Cups to make popcorn sharing a breeze like the warm breeze you wish you had by a beach.

-TURN YOUR PHONE OFF. To ensure you get the full experience.

Or stay inside and make a blanket fort with your dogs and kids and binge watch TV series while eating bulk foods and drinking wine.


These are my plans for any other bitter cold winter days and I get cabin fever. If you have any other creative fun things you like to do when it’s cold out. Let me know by tagging me on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook, or hashtag #mycompassproject. I love to add to my repertoire.
As always,

Adventure Awaits

No comments:

Post a Comment